Thursday, June 19, 2008

One Hit Wonders and myself...

Today, ladies and germs, I would like to talk about One Hit Wonders. Sorry for the lack of updates. When I started this blog, I promised to myself that I would not talk about my personal stories at all, but I find this extremely difficult, especially when I’m expressing my thoughts and opinions. I keep doing it anyway, so I should just embrace it. Wait, that’s not why I haven’t been writing- it’s all those Sex and the City episodes that I’ve been watching! (Oh, Review about that later, when I finish all the seasons, I’m only on 3rd, and yes, Samantha is my favorite- there I said it!)

Anyway, today, I thought I would come up with my own version of One Hit Wonders songs. I know, I know. VH1 has done it already and it already aired on TV. So? Coming up with any list is fun.

Along with the list, I wanted to talk about my stories with the first couple of songs. Nostalgic? Maybe. Here it goes:

1. Hotel California – Eagles

Anyone know other songs by Eagles? Call me stupid, but I don’t. Hotel California, what an awesometastic song. Listening to this song is like reading a novel. It begins with a beautiful guitar solo that squeezes out all tears from your heart, eyes, and soul. And how could I forget the killer chord progression.

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

Man, what lyrics! Doesn’t this just paint a portrait in front of your eyes? Long, stretched out two way highway, from Last Vegas to LA? Imagine driving a convertible, and no, not a lame Porche boxter or anything, one of those Cadillac Eldorado (picture below), and your greasy hair and white tank top just dancing in the wind. Badass!



I have a good story with this song too. I think I was a freshman in college. I had a mad crush on this guy, and we were pretty much all intoxicated under dim yellow lights with a couple of other friends. My good friend Jessica came into the room after partying (of course intoxicated as well) and started hanging out with us. And just when I was certain that I had set the mood straight and that this dude was into me, she fucking started singing and dancing to Hotel California! And she didn’t even mess up on the lyrics, she knew all of it from start to finish. How could I win him over? He went to her dorm room that night. I could not help but to love her because of that too. Damn, Eagles, you really do suck ass, but not really. I love this song. The dude and I remained great friends, despite the fact that he managed to screw almost every one of my friends except …yours truly.

2. California Dreaming – Mamas and the Papas

Hmm..I see a theme here. Could I be missing California? This song is so amazing, yet I do not know any other songs by these guys. Although Bobby once told me that the lady in this band had chocked on some chicken bone and died, but I digress. This song also has great intro and pretty much awesome lyrics. But for reason, whenever I hear this song, I miss California.

Isn’t that what music is all about? It takes you to some place else, you fly; you close your eyes, and imagine yourself in a completely different place in a completely different state.

All the leave are brown x 2
And the sky is grey x 2
I’ve been for a walk x 2
On a winter’s day x 2
I’ve be safe and warm x 2
If I was in L.A. x 2
California Dreaming x 2
On such a winters day x 2

(Btw, this x 2 is also another charming part of the song- the alternate voice of the mama…and the papa??)

My personal story with this song involves a HK film Chunking Express. Anyone know this film: The legendary bubble gum poppy aka the most amazing film by Wong Kar Wai? The film has two stories, one with Bridgette Lin & Takeshi Kaneshiro (Did I spell his name right?) and one with Faye Wong & Tony Leung. The second story, with Faye Wong and Tony Leung, is really the ultimate romance that I can only dream about. With the quirks of the characters and the fluffy light hearted attitude,

(Tony Leung: Why do you listen to your music so loud? Faye Wong: That’s because I don’t like to think. Tony Leung: ..You don’t like to think? Faye Wong: *Shakes head)



this was THE film that I could fantasize about; possibly because I see myself as kind of an aloof and quite a bit of a spacecase. Anyway, this song- California Dreaming is played often (Like, every scene), especially when Faye Wong dances with Kitchen appliances at the express food bar she works at. It always reminds me of the first time I watched this film. I think a lot about things I find amazing- people, music, art, films, and how I felt when I met & saw & experienced & read them for the very first time. The lasting impression that first experience of such greatness has on me transcends any joy I experience in life. Do you remember when you watched your ultimate favorite film for the first time? Do you remember how you felt? When you met that exciting guy or a girl? And such an intense connection you shared? The rush of happiness I experienced after watching this film for the first time cannot be described in words.

By the way- in the movie, Faye Wong also dreams of going to California. What is it really? The California love? Is it the weather?

Ok, that’s too much personal stories for today, on onward with the rest of the list!

3. Barely Breathing - Duncan Shiek
Who is he?



4. Put your records on – Corinne Bailey Rae
She’s got some hits- Like a Star is pretty good. But her myspace has three songs. Has she made any more in recent years? Put your records on is a great song- it reminds me of biking under the sun and singing at the same time (which is what this music video essentially is...)



5. Closing time – Semisonic
“I know who I want to take me home…Take me home…ohh” Is that how it goes? Because that’s how it sounds. Semisonic…huh.



6. Torn – Natalie Imbruglia

Ok, ok. Wrong impression was a hit. But what else? This Australian singer swept the American & international chart with this song, and convinced me to have short hair as long as I can remember. This song, to me, is what reminds of the ever so awesome 90’s. Come on. 90’s! Anyone?

7. What’s up – 4 Non Blondes
“Hey yah yah yah Hey yah yah, I said hey! WHAT’S GOING ON!” Need I say more?



Ok, this is it for today. I hope all of you avid readers of my blog enjoyed this somewhat attitude-y post, because I surely did.

2 comments:

BOBBLEBOT: cYborg iNdie SkiEs said...

ooo, I LIKEs the personal stories!

As for the Hotel California guy -- DUDE, mihae -- you TOTALLY dodged a bullet there! (As well as several varieties of venereal diseases. DISEASES!)

Ya see? Everything happens for a reason. If you were the only one he DIDN'T bang, then thank your lucky stars a guardian angel was looking out for you.

Steven Ray Morris said...

I really like your writing style. It has a lot of personality but is very relaxed and enthusiastic without being hyperbolic.