Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Do-er v. Wanter

Before I get into today's discussion, I would like to briefly talk about a book I'm reading.
I'm currently reading:
Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things.

Feel free to look this up. It's a collection of bunch of charming stories written by the story god himself, Neil Gaiman, also the author of the legendary comic book, The Sandman. I must say, Neil Gaiman's stories are very very interesting. Well, interesting is not the perfect word to describe how I feel about his short stories. Perhaps...enticing? eerie? strangely poignant, dark?
Long story short, I highly recommend it. I'm about 60% done, and I definitely have my 3-4 favorite short stories already!

My next books lined up are: Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami and Of Human Bondage by Maugham. Both were recommended to me by avid readers, also very good friends, and I trust their judgement in books, so I'm highly highly excited not to say the least.

Today I'm going to talk about the Do-er v. Wanter. I'm not sure if these are dictionary terms, but I'm not sure if I care too much since we live in a such-the-hyphenated-society. I mean, Woot is the MW's word of the year. Come on! Besides, I'm fobby, so I STILL have an excuse to make up my own words.

So lately, I've been observing lots of Do-ers and Wanters. I define Do-ers as people that do stuff that they like. Example, Samantha loves music, so she picks up the guitar and starts to play. She keeps going, and eventually learns to play pretty well consistently. Generally, Do-ers seem to be mainly focused on their own improvement in whatever they feel passionate about. They're not surfing the web, looking for talented people's websites and drooling, feeling jealous. Here is where the Wanters come in. I've observed lots of wanters lately. Wanters feel overwhelemd by the talent in the world and feel very inadequate. They seem to feel like they don't have the talent to persue their passion. They feel like they're out of time.

"There is no way I can do this on time."
"How can she do that? Oh my god!"

They seem to be looking at other people's work, being impressed by them rather than spending time on improving their own work. The more they search for great work, they feel even more discouraged to really start living out their dream.

What's good? I'm not sure. In my opinion, it's good to be both. It's good to be a wanter, because you are constantly inspired by others' work, but it's also great to be a Do-er, because you're spending this energy to something that is tangible, in order to improve your self, and fuel your passion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it's like you're saying -- or at least I think you're saying -- it's a balance and dialectics between doing and wanting. concentrating too much on doing can get you lost in a realm outside human connection whereas wanting sometimes --> snarky hipsterdom.