Monday, April 14, 2008

Ernesto Che Guevara

How to understand, then, Che Guevara's pervasive popularity, especially among the affluent young? Perhaps in these orphaned times of incessantly shifting identities and alliances, the fantasy of an adventurer who changed countries and crossed borders and broke down limits without once betraying his basic loyalties provides the restless youth of our era with an optimal combination, grounding them in a fierce center of moral gravity while simultaneously appealing to their contemporary nomadic impulse. To those who will never follow in his footsteps, submerged as they are in a world of cynicism, self-interest and frantic consumption, nothing could be more vicariously gratifying than Che's disdain for material comfort and everyday desires. One might suggest that it is Che's distance, the apparent impossibility of duplicating his life anymore, that makes him so attractive. And is not Che, with his hippie hair and wispy revolutionary beard, the perfect postmodern conduit to the nonconformist, seditious '60s, that disruptive past confined to gesture and fashion? Is it conceivable that one of the only two Latin Americans to make it onto TIME's 100 most important figures of the century can be comfortably transmogrified into a symbol of rebellion precisely because he is no longer dangerous?

The Motorcycle Diaries starring Gael Garcia Bernal (Did I spell his name right?) put me in a difficult spot. Heroic films that portray so called 'legendary figures' in history usually give me bitter taste in my mouth. Aside from the fact that I'm not very interested in obsessing over people, I generally feel manipulated by the directors and the writers to believe "A" side of these legendary figures. And of course, this includes omitting their terrible deeds, often duplicitous nature, or other characteristics that need to be represented for a more accurate portrayal of a public figure.

Motorcycle Diaries, however, was not really about that at all. There is a quote in the beginning of the film that explained what I should be expecting this film.
This isn't a tale of heroic feats. It's about two lives running parallel for a while, with common aspirations and similar dreams.

This, shut me up right away. I caught myself judging a film before I even selected the play button, and was humbled. As the film progressed, I was able to relate to the characters right away. (I mean, come on. Wouldn't anyone in our generation?) Uninspired, Stuck in a routine, with your morals and ethics in trash cans and conviction nowhere to be found. I know (I'm guilty of doing this as well) so many people that want to throw everything away and want to embark on a journey...but do we ever put these words into actions? As we type and click our souls away in nine to five jobs in cubicles, every single one of us dreams of THE trip that could change his/her life forever.

I won't spoil the movie for everyone, but this film is about Che Guevara's road trip to South America- through Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Peru, and how his observation & experiences with the indigenous people of the Latin America started to shape the Che Guevara we know today. From watching this film, I had a chance to take a look at my own morals and ethics.

poignant indeed. =)


1 comment:

BOBBLEBOT: cYborg iNdie SkiEs said...

"Heroic films that portray so called 'legendary figures' in history usually give me bitter taste in my mouth. Aside from the fact that I'm not very interested in obsessing over people, I generally feel manipulated by the directors and the writers to believe "A" side of these legendary figures."

That's an uber interesting comment because it is one that I tackle with as well. I find myself, esp post-film studies, really skeptical of the "Great Man" or "Great Woman" trope in film and literature. At the same time, there is something to be said about films that tangle in the gray area and reveal their flaws as well as what qualities made them capture so many imaginations and inspired a kind of movement of sorts.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is a case in point. It's an amazing text and to see the development of his ideas had me re-reading certain passages to really marinate in them. At the same time, even though it's mostly from his perspective, it's still really easy to see his blind spots in terms of homophobia or his really gendered views on women and their role in the movement. Does this mean that Malcolm X as a figure is without value? Does this negate all the work that he's done?

But yeah-- bravo on that point, Mihae, I really hear you on that one.